4.14.2011

Destroyed to Devine...Desk Transformation

The first room in our house that we decided to redo was the office. It was an easy pick since we knew we weren't going to be using it as much as other rooms in the house. Plus, it was out of the way, and we could work on it slowly without the chaos of everything being all over the place.

The one thing that I desperately wanted for our office was a new desk. I was tired of the massive ikea desk we had and wanted something that I could "re-vamp". I wanted something that looked like this:



A "French Provincial Writing Desk" I discovered it was called.

I looked EVERYWHERE.

We went to every furniture store we could think of, and the only stores that carried anything similar were selling for around $800-$1200. Way beyond our budget.  We were hoping for something in the 'under $200' range....wishful thinking I suppose. I searched on Kijiji for weeks in a million locations...nothing.

However, being the determined person I am, I wasn't about to give up on my idea of my dream desk. I could invision it beautifully in that room, and I was going to find it! Finally, one morning my brilliant husband suggested I look on Kijiji in a different geographic region- one close to his parents. That way, if we did find something, we could ask to borrow their van and drive it home.

There it was. My perfect "French Provincial Style Writing Desk".... listed at $95.00.



It must be a typo I thought, and the desk had been listed months ago, and was probably sold (another person who forgot to take down their listing).
However, I couldn't give up on this, so I emailed the person immediately and stared at my computer, waiting for a response. Nothing. I called. No answer. Sigh.....
An hour later the phone rang and Ian answered- it was the desk person!!!! I was thrilled- the desk was still available, however, it had a bit of damage to one of the corners from their dog. They had just returned from a vacation and hadn't been actively selling it. 

We drove down that afternoon to check it out. Perfect. It was in absolutely gorgeous condition- solid wood, beautifully cared for...except for the one corner which had been chewed by the dog. I looked past that. Ian was certain we could fix it would wood filler, and we were painting it anyways. Plus, for $95.00 I couldn't pass up this deal.



So we brought it home, piled on the wood filler, sanded. Piled on the wood filler again, sanded. Did that about 5 times until the corner looked somewhat like a corner again.

Then I sanded the entire desk and had it painted white.

We changed the knobs to crystal knobs and there it was. My perfect desk. For under $200.00 :)





Here's that chewed up corner that we fixed with a bit of wood filler and paint:



Put the crystal knobs on:


Ta Da! 


Another DIY project for the books!


Linking up to:






































Domestically Speaking
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 























Furniture Feature Fridays

The Shabby Nest

49 comments:

  1. thank you! this is my favorite piece so far I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely work. I'm going back to take a second look at a similar piece for sale for $75 on Craigslist nearby. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely piece, thanks to you. A beautiful vignette to work from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry I have to step away for a minute....I have drool all over my keyboard. I'm drooling with envy :) Amazing transformation I love the chair too. You're such a tease I want to see the entire room,very nice staging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone! You can see the entire room in one of most recent posts titled "office reveal"!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Gorgeous!! It came out perfect! Love the floors too!!
    xoxo
    Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I want a desk like that for my office! Now I am on the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. I LOVE your chair also. I've been looking for a desk like this too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I absolutely love it and everything around it.

    Rachel
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks everyone! It was a very fun room to do, and you can definitely find one of these desks on kijiji or craigslist :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw this over on Miss Mustard Seed's blog and had to check it out. The desk looks terrific! Beautiful job!
    And the chewed up corner came out great - you'd never know the dog had gotten it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought one this week at a thrift store for $20. This will be my first time to re-do a piece of furniture....I'm scared!! ;)
    Did you paint with a brush? How many coats? What type of paint did you use?Did you fill in the other holes where the handles were?
    Can you tell I'm a newbie?????
    Your projects are beautiful!
    Blessings ~
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome job!!! Especially on the corner!
    @susiebeth1 for 20.00 what a steel and great way of playing around with DIY.. Cheeper then going to the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Susiebeth!
    We actually had the piece sprayed. I primed it, and then it was sprayed to get a more consistent coat. I did fill the holes first. So steps were:
    1- sand
    2- fill holes with wood filler
    3- sand wood filler smooth
    4- prime
    5- paint

    Thank you so much for reading! Im a newbie too- so its just learn as you go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks Thumper! The corner was the tough part, but I think it turned out pretty well! :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really, really nice!! I love the desk, and love the black and white theme. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think my first comment went through..I love this desk, fabulous job!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautifully done! I love the color and the glass on top.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooohh...it's LOVELY! What a great price, but you made it gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is gorgeous! I love saving furniture, don't you?! All the accessories look fantastic too! I'm going to feature this on my blog tomorrow. Stop by and grab a button if you'd like.
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks so much everyone and that is so awesome of you Jennifer! I'm going to check out all your blogs now :) Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it....and that chair is amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this, I too was looking for this type of desk but no luck for a good price. They are super duper expensive. I was able to get a stainless steel version at Ikea. But I love your chair and have been looking everywhere for one similar, may I ask where you got it?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the chair! Did you recover it yourself, and if so, where did you get the fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! Looks like the perfect spot to write a letter to someone you love!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is simply fabulous! What a great redo! Thanks for coming over and linking up with Lemon Tree Creations today!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome, awesome, awesome! Way to go sista!!!

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks everyone! Its definitely my favorite piece :) Thanks so much for the support!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fabulous find. You made it lovely, and show that perseverance pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  30. www.orchidlanedecor.com

    What an amazing transformation. What a find, you lucky girl! You have made it look so good, they must have had a great dane to chew a corner that high. Found you thru Lemon Tree Creations.

    Suzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous! Looks brand new.

    I'm hoping to do a post soon on my blog of things people have transformed from old to new. Would love to include your project and pictures if that's ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks everyone! Thanks Megan! Im very flattered! Id love it you would post about it! Please feel free :) Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great find and the transformation is beautiful. I'm curious...what is kijiji? Is it like craigslist?

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Sylvia- thank you so much!
    Yes, I think in Canada a lot of us use Kijiji more than Craigslist (exact same idea)...depending on where you live. I dont find Craigslist is that popular around here!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks great! You did a beautiful job!

    In case you used regular wood filler for the corner and it doesn't hold up, Bondo will work much better. They sell it at Lowes, I would imagine Home Depot has it also.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You did a wonderful job rescuing this desk, well done. It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. it's beautiful!
    I don't think I'd have tried to fix that corner & look at how lovely it is! If you hadn't pointed it out, I'd have never known. Reminds me of my desk that I'm contemplating painting...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks everyone!! Thanks for the tip Brandi! The desk is holding up well, but good to know about Bondo :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks so amazing! LOVE the crystal doorknobs. the glass tops are also my favorite, really classic look. Beautiful blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! What a beautiful desk, i'm so jealous right now. Love the little details: The vintage phone, crystal knobs, and clock. Just Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the desk! I have one that's very similar that I'm about to paint white. Where did you get the chair? It's lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks everyone!
    Hi Joy- the chair is from HomeSense here in Canada, similar to Homegoods if you are in the US :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. You did a great job! I love the new knobs! Please feel free to share over at my Linky Party! I would be honored!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks so much Melissa! Im a fan of your blog now, and I've linked up my desk! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment :) We read them all, and truly appreciate the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...