7.07.2011

Ugly Duckling to a Swan

So a while back I found this chair:



I was going through my favorite thrift shop and saw it sitting there. I had a buy it. I saw the potential immediately. The wood was in perfect condition, the caning on the sides was in great condition (no breaks or rips), and the shape of the chair was beautiful.
To be honest, I didn't even hate the green. I figured it was kind of vintage looking and could somehow be incorporated into a room, if I cleaned it up a bit.

I was toying with the idea of restaining it, and MAYBE keeping the green and so I sent Ian a picture at work. I was so excited.

He hated it.

He's usually pretty open, letting me be creative and run with ideas, but this one wasn't working for him.

He said it was the ugliest chair he had even seen. Poor chair.

So at that point I knew that in order to keep the chair, I needed to completely re-do it. That meant either painting or restaining the wood, and completely recovering it.

Its a challenge, but Im up for it!

So it has begun, and Im going to take you through, step by step, how to completely recover a chair and make it beautiful :)

Im determined to make this chair pretty...Ive already told Ian its going to become the swan (from the ugly ducking) and hes going to be sorry he ever doubted the chair (lets hope Im right on this one!).

So stay tuned for the chair progress (im currently in the wonderful world of "staple removing"....literally this chair must have over 200 staples in it...not fun).




5 comments:

  1. What thrift store is your favourite? I have yet to find one that carries any furniture that is half decent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!! I want to do one like that for P's room and have been keeping my eye out! What store do you find the best stuff at hun? That is going to be a stunning chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I know what you mean about staples....I ended up just putting fabric over all the staples/upholstery nails on the sofa that I am still in the process of recovering (I started it in Nov.) I hope yours goes faster. ; ) Can't wait to see photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cant wait to see it. I'm sure you will succeed! I just came across your blog and will follow. Thanks for inspiring me. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to see what you do with this chair, I just found one for $10 at a thrift store! Its looks exactly likes yours but in an awful gold color. Very excited to see the results!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment :) We read them all, and truly appreciate the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...