1.05.2012

A blogging note...

Hello friends! Wow its been a while since we've had time to come on here...which basically implies that we've had a TON of things going on the past little while!

The holidays allowed us to spend some wonderful time with family and friends and also some time to work on some major projects. It was also time to reflect on things and relax with our families. I found that once we started the blog, we had very little time for anything else in our lives. Dont get me wrong, I love blogging and hopefully inspiring some of you with our projects and what we do, but it does take up a lot of time. When you are working full time (with a lot of overtime hours), enrolled in school (taking 2 full time courses), renovating a home, and still trying to have a life- things get a bit insane. I was pretty drained posting until 1:00 or 2:00am every night and then going to work the next day, that I needed the break to really reflect and do the things we dont normally have time for! Ian drafted up our last post, and its been great to be able to get him on board doing a few posts here and there as well :)

I get people asking me all the time about starting up a blog. I think blogging is an amazing way to share your ideas, document experiences and so much more, but it can take a lot out of you. You need to dedicate a lot to blogging and it takes a lot more time than some may think (Im sure the other bloggers out there can attest to this!). Writing posts, uploading and editing photos, doing the projects that you are blogging about...it can take a few hours just to complete a post so I really admire those bloggers out there who can post multiple times in a day! There are many bloggers out there, who have been fortunate enough to make blogging their jobs and if this was my only job, I might try and blog every day too.

The other thing Ive found, is that blogging can become competitive and sometimes almost discouraging. People aren't always nice and when you are a new blogger, it seems almost impossible to get yourself noticed in a sea of millions of other blogs out there. You work super hard, and when it doesn't seem to pay off, it can get frustrating. Bloggers almost seem to form little "groups"...it sometimes reminds me of my high school experience- you know, the cool kids, the nerds, the jocks, etc, etc. I feel like you never really escape that in life though! Its hard when the "cool kids" say or do things, and you think if only I had more money to do more projects, more time to do more blogging and so on. But you have to stop. Stop and reflect on what is important to you, and what blogging is really adding to your life.

A huge kudos to those who have been so supportive of us. To those who comment on our projects, who want to see what we've been up to, who help us with ideas and encourage our crazy ones, those who comment on the blog and those who ask us about the blog...you rock. Seriously.

For both of us, blogging was simply a way for us to document our home renovation experiences. We love working on our home together, and renovating has almost become an escape for us. An escape from some of the difficult situations we've been dealing with in our personal lives. We find that when we are working on a project together, we tend to forget about any other things we are dealing with, and it brings us closer together. Its something we love to do together and have fun with.
Thats all.

We didn't create this blog to become the biggest design blog in the blogging world, to compete with others or to have it take over our lives. Along the way, we've met some incredible other bloggers, people whom I never would have met otherwise, and are truly inspired by. In particular, there is one blogger and I who are truly blog-mates. lol. When I first began the blog I came across her's and noticed we had a smiliar look to our blogs, similar likes and dislikes, etc, so I sent her a message. She wrote me the nicest message back and we've been buddies ever since. She is literally my blog twin- we are constantly working on similar projects, like the same things, decorate the same, and I truly feel inspired by her. Shes one of the most wonderful bloggers Ive met thus far :) I just wish she lived a BIT closer than a 2 day drive away-lol! One of these days, we'll meet up for an Olive Garden lunch and a BIG glass of diet coke and will discuss decor for hours. I know it!

So there are definitely a lot of great reasons to blog, but also some things to be aware of if you are planning on starting a blog anytime soon. Do it because you love it. Because you love to write. Because you have something you want to document or share. Because you want to inspire. Because you've been inspired. Because writing is a creative outlet or because you just want to give it a shot :)
Just remember to be yourself. Write from the heart, share things you love or are passionate about and dont worry about what others think. People will always have opinions or ideas about what you are blogging about and if they choose not to read your blog, thats competely fine. There will be others who will love what you write, love your ideas and stay loyal followers...even if you can't post every day :) Some of my favorite bloggers post only a few times a month, but I love what they do and understand they have busy lives. They'll post when the can, and when they do, I'll be excited to read them :)

Anyways, the purpose of this blog was basically just to vent a little and share with you why we've been a bit MIA lately. We will still be blogging, but our posts may be a but more sparse for a little while as work and school have been taking over our lives. We hope you'll still be inspired by what we have to share, as we have a LOT of things going on right now that we can't wait to blog about :)

Here's a few of them:

- Flooring
- Fireplace
- A few special fixture's we've installed
- A New headboard project
- Mantle
- Bedroom re-do
- Guestroom update
- another giveaway!
- 1 big surprise!

and much more!

I also want to share with you some of my favorite bloggers (big or small)- people who I admire and that Ive connected with in the blog world, people who are down-to-earth, who have jobs, families, and still have the time to put together awesome blogs with great ideas that inspire me:) There are a ton more blogs that I love, so perhaps I'll feature a few more every so often (p.s if you have a blog to recommend that you read and love, send it my way!)


Burlap and Lace
Just Bella
Beach House in the City
Better After
Life Begins at thirty, Right?

These ladies have been super supportive of our blog and I have been more than inspired by them :) Thanks ladies! Go check out these amazing blogs!

Thats all for now. Phew. I feel better now. Thanks for letting me be me and for following :) All of you readers/followers mean more to us than you know, and we couldn't do this without you. A HUGE thank you to each and every one of you.



10 comments:

  1. Melissa, this is such an awesome post! I know exactly how you feel, about everything! I am so inspired by your blog every time I read it- and I feel like I'm reading my own posts! I check all the time to see if you've updated...is that creepy? We WILL meet, one day! And I have a feeling the husbands will get along well too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the best girl!! I do the same with you...so we can be creepy together-lol! and um yes I feel the same about the guys-lol... did you see the post I just put on your FB wall? We share a brain I swear-lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Melissa, this is such a thoughtful and honest post. I can totally relate to what you're saying. I blog because I love it and don't try to hold myself to any sort of standards. I do it when I can and because it makes me happy. It IS a huge time commitment so you gotta enjoy the time you do put into it. I honestly don't know how people blog everyday!!

    I love your blog and would love it whether you posted once a day or once a month! Do what works for you and do what makes you happy. Thank you for the mention, you are just the sweetest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Melissa! I will always be one of your many loyal followers no matter when or how much you manage to blog. The goal should not be the quantity but to inspire when you do blog. Looking forward to whatever cool things you come up with in the new year as well as the surprises :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't comment often, but I read each and every one of your posts and I just love your blog! It is so inspiring! I understand if you have to post less often (1-2am??? You're crazy!!) but I hope you don't give it up altogether! You have an amazing eye for design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melissa,
    I've been following for sometime now but unfortunately, I don't often leave comments. I'm a fellow Cdn. who enjoys visiting your blog. I love the fact that if you mention a certain item or product I know its something that I will also be able to find. Thanks for always sharing your time and talent and I'll still be watching even if you decide to post on a less frequent basis. TFS! Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to let you know that I don't comment, either, but I really look forward to seeing your posts...and they always inspire me! I love your style and it's the same look that I'd love to achieve in my own home. I'm trying to start a blog...it just seems so complicated. But, you make it look so easy! Just felt I should write a little something to let you know that I appreciate all your work since you sound a bit discouraged. Now go on and take some more time for yourself, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know that I will follow you whether you post once a week, once a month, or a few times a year! Not just because you are such a special friend, but because you have incredible talent and I love checking out all of your amazing work! Do what makes you happy....you always have my support. So proud of you hun xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. To each and every one of you, thank you from the bottom of my heart, for taking the time to comment on this post :) You are truly some very special people and its comments like these that keep bloggers going!! Sending a HUGE virtual hug to each of you! THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like I never commented on here to tell you THANKS so much for the shout out! I also totally relate with every thing you said in this post. Great job summing it up so well! I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment :) We read them all, and truly appreciate the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...