4.09.2013

Wallpapered Closet

Some of you may have seen our sneak peek on our Facebook page of the Wallpapered closet that we finished a few weeks ago, and here's how it all went down.

Ian and I are pretty much able to work together on almost every project in our house. We've done it all- building, painting, designing, etc., but wallpapering has not yet been one of those projects. Although we could have attempted to try this incredibly 'bonding experience' together, we decided to bring in the experts. Call mom.

My mom and I had wallpapered a room in our house together before- the dining room, which we haven't posted about much since that room is still a work in progress, but here's the wall we worked on together:

 
So I knew mom was the perfect person to call when I decided to wallpaper our small bedroom closet. 
 
Our master bedroom has 2 closets (I know awesome eh?!) one walk in and the other just a small hanging closet.  

Its a bit difficult to get a picture of the 2 closets since they face each other and there isn't much room for photo-taking, but here's a picture of the small closet so you can see what we were working with:


That picture also gives you a sneak peek of our Master Bedroom (which I will be posting the reveal of soon!), and shows your our wall colour, so I wanted to choose a paper that went with that.

We didn't need to wallpaper this closet, so this became more of my project...mainly since Ian has never wallpapered and didn't really think we needed to.
I chose to take on this project since a.) it was an easy space to wallpaper, b.) an inexpensive project - since we only needed 2 rolls  c.) if we messed up in the closet no one would probably ever know. Well except you all of course, but I'm sure you wouldn't judge :) So on with the wallpaper!

We chose "Blue Mountain Blue and Silver Strippable Non-Woven Paper Prepasted Wallpaper" that we found at Lowes. Between the 2 papers that my mom and I have worked on in this house, this paper was by far the best. The paper we used in the living room cost more and was much more difficult. The paper from Lowes was easy to install, less expensive and appeared to be good quality. I would definitely recommend this paper.

The first step to wallpaper this closet was to set up the room. I used old sheets and drop cloths to cover the floors and actually taped a drop cloth to the baseboards in the closet (with painters tape), to avoid any drips or anything getting on the floors.

I also 'sized' the walls with wallpaper size. For any of you who have wallpapered before you may know that this step is considered optional, but makes putting up the paper much easier in the end (and easier to take down). This isn't the exact size we used (the one we bought isn't available to view online), but this one from Lowes gives you an example of what the size looks like and does.

The room then began looking like this:


We also made sure to patch any holes in the wall and sand everything down first before sizing.

After measuring and cutting all the pieces first, we put up our first piece:



And after smoothing it out, it looked much better. It took us about 3 hours to finish the closet and in the end, we ended up with this:




 
 
So once again the mother-daughter team did pretty well! (I think we wallpaper pretty well as a team!) When Ian came home, I can honestly say he was very pleasantly surprised.
 
The next step was to build shelving and a hanging rod. Since the other closet in this bedroom (the walk-in, which I will be blogging about next) has tons of shelving and drawers, we decided to dedicate this smaller closet to just hanging.
 
We went to Home Depot and had some melamine particleboard sheets cut to the size of the closet. We then brought home the scrap pieces to use for building support for the shelves. Up first went the side braces:
 
 
 
Then the middle and the other side:
 
 
 
Then we attached the hanging rod to the side braces:
 
 

 
 
placed the wood shelf on top and done!

 
 
Finally time to move our clothes back in:
 
 
So there you have it!
 
This closet has been waiting to be finished for almost a year, but in the end it only took us a weekend to finish it. We now have ALL of our clothes in our bedroom instead of spaced out throughout the upstairs closets (yea!) and its a nice surprise when I open up this closet and see the beautiful wallpaper poking through.
 
Have any of you wallpapered lately?!
 
Melissa and Ian

*The opinions on this post are entirely our own. We were not endorsed by Lowes to recommend any of these products*





6 comments:

  1. The paper is beautiful! I was just at Bouclair and see that they have a small line of wallpaper out. Got me thinking to do one wall in our spare bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krista! I had no idea they had wallpaper! Im going to have to go check that out! :) Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so good!! how dramatic. really impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I have been tempted to wallpaper a wall, but I am so indecisive which sadly means the wall remains blank and boring. I have the same issue with fabric.. I have been holding on to fabric samples for years, and many windows in my house remain unfinished with their boring wooden blinds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just need to go for it...a closet wasn't a big investment so I think that made it easier for us!

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading our blog and taking the time to comment :) We read them all, and truly appreciate the love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...